Teriyaki Tempeh & Shiitake Mushroom Rice Bowl
Mouthfuls of umami tempeh coated with savoury teriyaki sauce, paired with nourishing shiitake mushrooms on a bed of purple rice. Hello healthy you.
Tempeh is a delicious vegan protein - an Indonesian delicacy with a meaty texture made of entirely of fermented soybeans. It tastes slightly nutty and carries any flavour that's added to it. During these times, it's good to know that it's extremely easy to store as it freezes superbly.
We've listed out the different components of the bowl below but feel free to add other elements such as wilted spinach, sautéed pak choi... all that jazz.
- 115g Thai black riceberry
- 230g white Jasmine rice
- 200g shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 400g tempeh, sliced width ways and about 1cm thick
- 200ml teriyaki sauce (thin or thick teriyaki is fine.
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
What to do:
- Wash both types of rice together then cook according to instructions on the packet. Using a rice cooker will do this automatically for you. If you're using a pot, add the rice, then add enough water so that the water level is 3cm above the rice. Cook on a medium heat for about 15 minutes and make sure the pot is uncovered. Definitely keep your eye on the rice.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the oil
- Gently sauté the shiitake mushrooms for about 2 minutes then set aside
- Add the teriyaki to the tempeh and make sure everything is coated
- In the same frying pan, on medium heat cook the tempeh on both sides until you get a slight char (roughly 2 minutes each side)
To assemble the bowl:
- Divide the rice between 4 bowls
- Add the tempeh on one side, and the mushrooms on the other
- Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds
P.S The light that day was gorgeous so couldn't resist keeping it in the photo.